Monday, December 23, 2013

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

I am so excited for Christmas.  I love this holiday.  My best memories from my childhood are all centered around Christmas Eve at Gram and Pap O'Rourke's.  Gram made her famous sauerkraut balls, crabbies, and cookies with the Hershey's kisses.  Pap wore his Christmas socks and passed out the gifts.  Those were some of the best family gatherings.

This year we will be celebrating at our own home with our little family.  We have started some of our own traditions that I hope one day my boys will look back on as some of their favorite times.

This past week I have had some amazing wines.  Let's start with Marchigue Carmenere Reserva 2012 from Chile.  I had tried my very first Carmenere a few weeks ago and really liked the flavor.  This wine hails from the Colchuga Valley which is home to the Chilean "cowboy".  I am a sucker for a cool label and the wild hare on the front of this one had me.  I have to say this might be my new favorite from Trader Joe's.  There are so many
I have yet to try...each time I try a new one I am impressed.  There are a few others shown that I have yet to try, but we still have a few days left in the year.  Highly recommend this one...again, $8.99 for the bottle.


I had to go back to my wine expert on the side for some additional recommendations for the week.  Let's just say that I was highly impressed with both bottles that I bought and neither was over $10.  With wine prices like this, you can afford to stock up and save for a rainy day.

Again, the bottles were so pretty!  Honora Vera 2011 Garnacha from Spain.  This is a wonderful spicy/fruity medium-intensity wine that truly blew me away based on its price.  http://www.wine.com/v6/Bodegas-Ateca-Honoro-Vera-Garnacha-2011/wine/120398/detail.aspx  This wine is from the Bodegas Ateca Winery and apparently there are plenty of other varieties that I must try in their repertoire. This would be a perfect wine to have on hand over the holiday's.

The second selection is Blau 2012.  This is another beauty from Spain which is a combination of Grenache Noir, Samso, and Syrah.  Great combination.  Great taste.  From the Can Blau Winery, which is a small family owned winery in Montsant known for their high quality wines.  And again...value priced.  I need to give credit where credit is due and that Cramer for these wonderful options.  I have 2 more on my list from Cramer that I have to pick up as soon as possible.  http://www.enterwine.com/blau-2012

It's definitely the most wonderful time of the year.  Only two days left until Christmas.  Wishing you the Merriest of Christmases!  I hope your stocking is stuffed with everything you want.  Of course, that is assuming you have been good this year...

1 comment: