Monday, November 25, 2013

Time to Kick some Ass!


It’s a racing week.  I have one and possibly two 5K’s that I will be participating in this weekend.  I am coming off a PR high set at my most recent 5K about a month ago.  19:23 which I am still giddy about.  So, this week’s workout was to prepare me for my post PR 5K.  While I never want to get stingy with my running…I know deep in the recesses of my soul I want to do even better this week.  But, hey…I am just happy to be improving at this stage of my running career.  So fresh off my wicked great 10 x 400m workout which I crushed, I needed to relax with a glass of wine, or two. 
I had a smidge of Dearly Beloved Red that I polished off and then decided to open something that was given to me.  Something I had not tasted before.  Sovinello Private Collection Pinot Noir (2011).  This is ass in a bottle.  I cannot even describe to you what this tastes like, but I completely had to abort the tasting right away and sacrifice the bottle.  I could not do it.  Save yourself.  If vomitous was a word, I would use it.  So, now what?  I could not leave myself to an evening of disdain.  I had an old standby on hand for just such occasions.  By no means is this my favorite, but for a cheap Pinot Noir, I will drink it.  Woodbridge.  I have been ragged for drinking this several times, but it’s an easy drink and an easy pick.  You know what you are getting.  Plus, I needed to get the ass taste out of my mouth.  One little glass and I chalked this Wednesday up and decided tomorrow would be better. 



 


Friday on the way home from work I decided that I would stop off at World Market to do a bit of Christmas shopping.  It just so happened that they were also having a little wine sale, so what the heck.  If I bought 4 bottles I got 20% off.  OK.  I found 14 Hands Cabernet which was recommended to me by a fellow wine drinker in Chicago.  I also picked up Line 39 Pinot Noir and was recommended two bottles from a relatively cute guy who seemed to act like he knew his stuff; well…he had on a World Market uniform and was standing in the wine section…so I obliged.  Formation Pinot Noir and Sterling Vintner’s Collection Meritage were the two new ones that came home with me.
I usually do not drink the night before a Saturday race, but I wanted to test out the Line 39 Pinot.  I figured one itty bitty glass would by no means hurt me.  I liked this one.  I have had the Sauvignon  Blanc Line 39 before so I was hoping the Pinot would be pleasant as well.  For the money, it’s not a bad Pinot Noir.  http://www.cecchettiwineco.com/Our-Brands/Line39/Pinot-Noir  I will admit I do like their Sauvignon Blanc much better. 

Saturday I ended up winning my 5k in Pinopolis with a 19:40.  It was actually very humid, but the course was nice and I was pleased with the win.  With my $100 winnings we packed it up and headed home.  I was also ready to drink some wine as my week thus far had not produced anything I would consider fantastic.  I don’t know what forced me to try the Formation Pinot Noir instead of one of the others, but that is what I went for.  I also decided I was not going to go for the double dip in racing the evening run.

This weekend just wasn’t the wine weekend for me.  I hate to say it, but I was less than impressed with the wine guy’s recommendation of Formation.  There was no oomph.  It was watery and forced me to do something I rarely do…switch to iced tea for the remainder of the evening. 

This week we must redeem the wine testing.  The good thing is I have saved you from some potentially bad choices. 

2 comments:

  1. I would hate to taste what Sovinello has in his "regular collection". I may try the Line 39 Pinot before my next race, seems like it assures a successful trophy hunt. Congrats on the 5k times - you're killing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read tonight's post. Great new recommendations that rock! See u soon!!

      Delete