Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Round Trip: November 13-November 20


I hate traveling for work.  I do not like getting out of my routine.  I hate leaving my boys.  Its all enough to induce a minor panic attack.  Seriously.  Once I actually get on the plane, I am fine…it’s the sheer act of packing, driving to the airport and getting inside that kills me.  As much as it pains me to admit it, I sometime must rely on medication to get through this process.  Last Wednesday, I had the unfortunate problem of not being able to get in touch with my MD, so I had to take matters in to my own hands.  Wine. 

After crushing my Wednesday workout which consisted of a very ambitious tempo run progression in 30 degree temperatures, my pre-flight routine took a turn for the better.  I decided to open up the bottle of Smoking Loon Pinot Noir.  http://www.smokingloon.com/wine-pinot-noir.html  This wine is a good inexpensive yet tasty little Pinot Noir.  We are talking about a $10 bottle here.  I decided to have a few glasses, check my Facebook, and relax as much as possible before taking off.  It worked perfectly.  I was nice and calm by the time I had to depart to the airport.  Best part of the flight, besides having the one seat side all to myself, was that it was a direct flight to Dallas!

Dinner with the boss and a co-worker Thursday evening we had a bottle of Joel Gott 815 Cabernet Sauvignon.  http://www.gottwines.com/jgw/2012/06/01/815-california-cabernet-sauvignon/  This is a California wine.  I am finding my way back to Cabernet’s after a very long period of being away.  Cabernet’s used to be my all time favorite go-to wine.  Let’s just say one year on the Eve of New Year’s Eve I had a bit too much.  This is about a $17-18 bottle of wine.  It went very well with our cheese plate and steamed edamame that we decided to call dinner.  I actually wanted more of this, but we all split a bottle…this is one I will definitely try again. 

My flight home was delayed…so what do you do in the Dallas Airport when your flight is delayed?  You go to Chili’s bar.  After taking my first sip of Century Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon, the man next to me asked how it was.  My response:  “better than I thought it would be.”  To which he tossed back: “If you aim for the cellar, there is nowhere to go but up.”  Not sure if it was truly a play on the fact that I was drinking Century Cellars, or not.  Regardless, I probably would not go searching high and low for this locally.  It was drinkable, but nothing to write home about.  It went well with my black bean burger and the bar company. 

Home sweet home for the weekend and I had a lot to do.  I made a quick trip to Trader Joe’s and bought my go-to reds:  Mission Point Pinot Noir ($7.99) and Dearly Beloved Red Blend ($8.99).  These wines are really great every days wines.  So I generally drink them every day.  Just in case, I also picked up my favorite white from Trader Joe’s as well:  Sauvignon Republic, a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.  I am very partial to the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc’s.  I like their crisp flavor more so than the oak flavor in some California Sauvignon Blanc’s.   If you have ever tasted Kim Crawford and enjoyed that, you would also like Sauvignon Republic.  And if not, you are only out a few bucks!  I have found it to be very fun to try out different Trader Joe wines.  I actually picked up the Dearly Beloved because a 5 year old boy was trying to get his mother to buy it.  It’s a cool bottle.  She declined, but I told him I would try it.  Now if only I could thank him. 



Monday was Mark’s birthday!  In celebration we went to Mr. Friendly’s for dinner.  Oh my gosh…if you have not been you MUST try this place.  It is wonderful.  I think it is my new favorite place to eat in Columbia.  They have half price bottles of wine on special.  Not sure if this is just a Monday night thing, but I decided to go for it.  Keep in mind, Mark doesn’t partake in my vice, but he scored himself a very cool Belgium Farmhouse Ale:  Sofie.  I opted for Simple Life Pinot Noir, another California wine.  http://www.simplelifewinery.com/   It was great.  And half off!  From what I have found, I think the retail price is around $15.  I will be looking for this one.  I got scolded the next day at work when I let Cramer know this is what I had.  He kicked me out of his office and slammed the door behind me.  Ouch!

Tuesday night was another night on the town for me.  This is rare.  I am a homebody, but I have just had several opportunities this past week to get out and enjoy myself more than usual.  And what better way that at a Birthday party for a couple of friends!  We met at Liberty Café.  After I begged Cramer to let me back in his office, I asked him for recommendations on what RNDC wines I should have while out.  I was told I should get Liberty School Cabernet Sauvignon.  Must not disappoint Cramer again.  Wow.  I really did like this one.  http://www.hopefamilywines.com/wines/liberty-school.php?product=53    I say wow, again because I am happy to be enjoying the deeper reds again.  This was great.  I will be looking for some breakage around the office.  (wink, wink)  Probably should not have thrown the shot of tequila in there, but live and learn. 


If you have any specific questions about the wines from this week, please let me know.  I will be back again next Wednesday with more wine adventures!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon, your Aunt Gracie sent me here. Looking forward to your posts. My husband is not a wine drinker AT ALL but loves the Joel Gott Cab. It is a staple in our house. A similar cab at a lower price point is the 14 Hands. Keep the recommendations coming! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually tried 14 hands one night out to dinner about a month ago. Very tasty. I will need to get a bottle of that soon to re-try! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete