Monday, March 3, 2014

Something new...

I am always hesitant to try a completely foreign wine.  What if I hate it?  I am very lucky to have a wine source that has come to know exactly the flavors I am looking for in my wine.  Because of him, I scored two of the best bottles of wine as a gift from my Strictly Running relay team as a thank you for coordinating some of our weekend events while at the race.  As I mentioned in my last excerpt, we WON the women's open relay event!  As a matter of fact, we were 2nd finishers overall out of all of the teams that entered.  Pretty decent.

First we have Tres Picos Borsao Garnacha.  This was my first Garnacha experience and I will go back for more.  Another wonder from Spain, this is a right up my alley with the spicy taste and deep red color.  I am honestly in love with this particular wine. I went out to find another bottle immediately after I finished.  OK, so not immediately...but the same week.  Just a little tid bit of information for you about the Borsao winery:

Founded in 1958 in the town of Borja, called Borsao in the 4th century B.C., this winery represents what can be done with Garnacha, a grape that is not well appreciated by the Spanish press.  Through meticulous selection, work in the fields and at reception time in the winery, modern winemaking produces this highly fruity wine.  One of the best examples of the region known as "The Garnacha land of Spain", the lower part of the Ebro River.

I must admit, I am confused as to why this is not more appreciated.  It truly is a great wine.  Purchased at Whole Foods for $17, it is a great buy.


My second bottle was Rio Madre Rioja.  What a freaking bargain for such a great taste!  I mean it.  You can score this tasty little number for under $10/bottle.  Stock up! If you can find this in bulk, do yourself a favor and go for it.

From the bottle:

"This rare wine is a culmination of many years of hard work and determination.  We are finally able to release a wine that is made from Graciano grapes grown in Rioja.  Join us in celebrating this unique release and enjoy a glass of this most unusual Rioja.

The Graciano grape has long been fundamental to the wine industry in Rioja.  Winemakers depend on it to add a wonderful floral bouquet and complexity to their blends.  Rarely has it been used on its own.  Several years ago we notices that our estate grown Graciano vineyards, which surround the town of Alfaro, were capable of producing a wine which exemplifies the best that the grape has to offer.  The deep, almost opaque color, the exuberant aromas and luscious flavors of blackberries and cherries tells you this is not a wine to be taken lightly but rather it should be enjoyed to its fullest."

Um, yep.  That about sums it up.  This was another first for me with a Graciano.  Again, I will admit, I was blown away.  

Sometimes something different is exactly what you need.  I am glad I stretched out of my comfort zone to try these phenomenal wines.

Happy sipping!!

No comments:

Post a Comment