Thursday, April 24, 2014

Who wants to be Idaho?




Sawtooth Syrah 2011

Its been a little over a week.  I have been a little busy with...life in general, I guess.  I have two absolutely fantastic wines to tell you about this week.  I think in my last post, I mentioned my new favorite little wine shop:  Best Bottle, located in Woodhill Plaza.  I have a great fondness for this place because of the wonderful variety of wines that they carry.  It is really a great place to go in to.  Whether you are a wine novice or have a little more experience, the owner is a huge help in helping you find just what you are looking for.  It's my new go-to place when I am looking for something special to try.

This week I found just that.  The last thing you probably think about when you are thinking about wine hot spots is Idaho.  Idaho?  Wine?  Huh?  In doing a little research on Sawtooth, the winery was opened in the late 1980's.  At present time there are about 45 + wineries in Idaho.  Who knew?  Not me.  But now I am curious.  I purchased a bottle of Sawtooth 2011 Estate Grown Syrah.  Oh my God!  This is amazing.  A very dark and savory red with amazing spice notes right from the smell to the first taste and finish.  I absolutely loved this bottle.  It amazed me...not just because it was from Idaho, but because I am early on in my Syrah sipping phase and I was blown right away.  Call it beginners luck.  If I were you, I would find a bottle of this ASAP.  This retails for around $20/bottle.  I was sad that when I went back today, they were actually out of this.  See...it's that good!

Next on the list is Wild Oats Shiraz hailing from Australia.  http://www.wildoatswine.com/the-wild-oats-story/  The website gives you the history of the wine and region.  This is a velvety red wine with some spicy characteristics.  I am a slave to the spice.  Value wine at around $10 per bottle.


Just a little education.  I did not know this, but have learned that Shiraz and Syrah are one and the same.  I was quite confused at first, but my handy, dandy, wine teacher let me in on this little secret.  I felt really silly at first, but hey...you have to learn some time.

Now that the weather is finally starting to get warmer, I will branch out soon into some white varietals.  Until then...sip on!









No comments:

Post a Comment