Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Argentina Edition

After coming off of a slightly disappointing 10K at Cooper River, I really had been looking forward to my next race which happened to be a 5 miler here in Columbia this past weekend.  While I did not set and personal records, I did manage to win overall Master's and take home some cash, and take home a top 10 finish.  For a race this large, I am happy to have met those goals.  There are days we have it and days we don't.

There are wines that have it, and some that don't.  I am fortunate that lately I have been getting very lucky with my selections.  I have been actually picking out some on my own without assistance from my wine guru and have been pleasantly surprised at the results I have had.  Let's talk about Salvatore Principe Malbec.  This wine hails from Argentina in the Mendoza region.  One of my favorite wine regions.

 
I love this Malbec.  I found this at World Market and actually went back and bought the last of the bottles that were in the store!  Very nice deep red Malbec with a medium body and that spice and smoky subtle taste that I enjoy.  Of course, this pairs perfectly with pizza, vegetables and cheese.  Three of my favorite things.  I have not been able to find any more of this since my last purchase, but will remain on the lookout.  I know I did not pay over $10 for this bottle; so it's quite the bargain.  I do have one more bottle at home that I am saving for a rainy day.

My next bottle is a red bland from Argentina.  Chakana Estate Selection Red Blend 2012.  This is a blend of 60% Malbec, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 20% Shiraz.  Yum.  What a perfect blend.  This wine is also deep red with violet undertones.  Dark fruits and exotic spices with tobacco and hints of mocha emerge right away.  There is a wonderful balance of these varietals and again, I will go back for more.  This one has more of that bold bang to it when you are in the mood for something to really hit you.





And the darn bottles are so pretty!  I just can't help myself when I go in to the stores and see these beautiful bottles with the perfect descriptions underneath.  I purchased the Chakana from Best Bottle.  Retail for this beauty is around $27/bottle.  Well worth it, as I continue to read that this wine will be going up, up, up in price!

Happy Sipping!



No comments:

Post a Comment