Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Baby It's Cold Outside!

I am originally from Pittsburgh, Pa.  I grew up sled riding, ice-skating, building snow forts, and having snow ball fights in the winter.  We looked forward to those snow days and to having the day off to get all of the kids in the neighborhood together for a ridiculous sled riding event.  Once we were completely numb we would all pile into someone’s house and put our clothes in the dryer while we sat around in our long john’s drinking hot chocolate.  Once our clothes were dry and we had thawed a bit we bundled back up and went back for more. 


I have been in the balmy south for 20 years.  I have to admit I have completely acclimated to not having snow every year.  Yes, it gets cold, but really, its South Carolina cold.  What is a girl to do in South Carolina when the temperatures drop to 15 degrees?  Find a nice bottle of red wine and drink up!
I am happy to report that I have a very nice bottle to tell you about this week. 



2012 MontGras Cabernet Sauvignon - Carmenere.  This deep ruby red blend did not disappoint.  It is 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Carmenere.  A wonderful blend from Chile.  I have realized I really do like wines from the Colchugua  area, as this is my second fab find from the area.  I am starting to like to experiment with wine blends and this one was a very nice combination of two of my favorites.  The wine retails for around $17 per bottle.  http://www.montgras.cl/fichas%20tecnicas/2012MontGrasXXAosING.pdf
This was the perfect wine to warm me up following a race that some good friends and I braved in sub 20 degree weather on Saturday morning.  The pace was hot, the weather was cold, and the wine made it all worth it that evening.  My crew all set Personal Records so the wine celebration was needed.

I know all the snow is not going to last long, so I will enjoy it for the brief moment it lasts.  This morning I decided to head out for a run in the snow with friends.  It really was fun to be out in the snow making those first tracks before the sun came up.  I think I'll need to find another bottle to keep me warm tonight!

Here's to staying warm and toasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment